The pandemic has made everyone understand the importance of a health insurance plan. People’s attitude about health insurance is changing as everyone realises how important it’s to be prepared for any medical scenario.
In the event of a medical emergency, a good health policy may offer you the greatest medical treatment and health care. It’s the financial cushion that shields you from unanticipated medical costs. However, you do not always have to be hospitalised to be eligible for medical insurance. If your health insurance policy covers home care, you may receive all of the benefits of hospitalisation.
If you’re wondering “does health insurance cover in-home care? Let us tell you that the best health insurance plans in India come with home care benefits. Assume you or someone in your household has a serious health problem that necessitates regular hospital visits. In such a case, it is critical to have health insurance that pays for in-home care services.
In India, the notion of offering home care services is gaining traction. It aids in the care of the elderly or those who are unable to attend the hospital. The healthcare sector has seen tremendous growth in the last few years. In-home care services are becoming increasingly important, particularly during times of lockdown, which has advised people to remain indoors.
Let us find out more about In-Home Care.
What’s In-Home Care?
It’s also known as domiciliary care or treatment. It means when an insured individual requires hospitalisation but is taken care of at home under the supervision of a medical professional. This can happen for any of the following conditions:
- The patient’s so ill that she/he is unable to leave the house or be admitted to a hospital.
- The doctor suggests that the patient receive treatment or therapy at home rather than at a hospital.
- The hospital or the medical facility is unable to accept the patient owing to a lack of beds or several other resources.
If your medical insurance policy covers in-home care for any of the three reasons, you can file a claim under “domiciliary” care.
What’s Covered Under In-Home Care?
The medical insurance plan covers all fees spent during home treatment. Different insurance companies provide different levels of coverage. You can inquire with your insurer about the coverage provided by your health insurance. The most common expenditures paid by domiciliary care are as follows:
- Domiciliary treatment expenses include doctor’s consultation fees, home visit charges, the cost of medications, nursing care, diagnostic tests, medical equipment costs, and so on.
- Pre- and post-hospitalisation costs
- Check-ups, regular consultations, and daycare are some chronic care expenses covered.
Note: Self-treatment at home without a medical expert’s prescription is not covered under in-home care. Some plans include coverage for in-home care, while others provide it as an add-on medical insurance benefit.
You must notify your medical insurance provider in advance and supply every essential medical documentation for an uncomplicated and rapid claim resolution. You must furnish a doctor’s prescription for domiciliary hospitalisation, as well as any medical bills, medical test reports, and other medical invoices related to your treatment.
Why Must You Obtain Health Insurance That Covers In-Home Care?
Listed below are some of the key reasons why you must obtain health insurance that covers in-home care:
- To get the benefits of health insurance, an insured individual does not need to be hospitalised. They can continue to use their health insurance while getting treated at home or at their convenience.
- Many insurance companies provide cashless in-home treatments in addition to cashless hospitalisation. Original medical invoices together with a doctor’s prescription are necessary for cashless in-home care.
- In-home care is less expensive than hospitalisation since it saves money on room rent, transportation, food, and service taxes. As a result, it benefits both the insured individual and the insurance provider.
Points to Keep in Mind before Choosing In-Home Care
You should keep the following points in mind when choosing in-home care:
- The sum insured or the coverage for in-home care is part of your medical insurance plan’s overall coverage.
- You must check your medical insurance plan’s in-home care inclusions and exclusions.
- You must check the waiting period for certain medical illnesses and diseases that are being treated at home.
- You should also check to see if the treatment you intend to receive is covered by your medical insurance policy’s domiciliary care.
- You must check the claim settlement time and the process involved.
- You should check the additional in-home care cover premium amount. You can compare health insurance policies of different insurers when it comes to choosing a perfect one.
Due to a lack of beds during the coronavirus pandemic, many cases of COVID treatment were administered at home. In such a case, having in-home care covered by your medical insurance is advantageous for domiciliary hospitalisation. So, before purchasing a family floater health insurance cover or an individual health policy, consult your doctor about whether in-home care is appropriate.