The term locum tenens refers to a temporary task performed by a doctor or physician to provide a service for a limited time, is one of the most common forms of healthcare provided in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries.
The field has grown in popularity in recent years due to the many advantages it brings. In this article, we will examine some reasons why locum tenens companies are experiencing increased interest from those wishing to work as a locum doctor.
Reasons to work as a locum doctor
- The main reason many doctors choose this type of work is that they work in a medical field that, when not properly staffed, can be overwhelming.
- Many doctors work as locums out of love for the profession and out of a passion for providing patient care.
- For people with other commitments such as childcare, working as a locum doctor can be ideal. For others, it can help doctors avoid burnout and exhaustion that are usually associated with their profession.
- Not all doctors have their own medical practice or are employed in a health facility, so more income is available. Doctors have the opportunity to take on tasks and duties in which they can work together with other doctors in the area.
- Ask an experienced doctor and they will tell you the same thing: administrative tasks can often prevent doctors from spending enough time with their patients. Locum tenens allows doctors to focus on patient care.
- Many successful doctors work as locums, which usually allows them to undertake repeated tasks and deployments.
- If doctors get a few extra shifts a week, they can top up their existing income and earn more to meet specific financial goals, whether it’s paying off student loans or mortgages or financing a vacation.
- Another fulfilling aspect of locum tenens, as well as many other aspects of the profession, is that this career path allows doctors to practice more medicine, and focus less on admin and other non-patient oriented tasks.
- Healthcare is a growing industry and there will be a shortage of labor in the foreseeable future. The demand for locums will only increase – so there will be plenty of employment opportunities.
- The vast majority of healthcare employers are family doctors – doctors in private practice who must maintain the services they provide. If they go on vacation or attend professional training, they need another doctor to cover for them in their practice.
- The high demand for skilled workers, coupled with the ever-growing use of locum tenens, guarantees that doctors can develop a satisfying career in this field.
- Many doctors turn to locum tenens to earn more without having to worry about running a private practice or managing insurance.
Given the benefits of working in locum tenens, it is not surprising that more and more doctors, young and old, are taking the plunge into this field.
However, as a doctor, it makes a big difference when you choose the right agency to work with before committing. The quality of the agency and the level of training and experience that you have at your disposal can make a difference in the types of experience that you will have!